Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Diplomacy in Trouble

I don't write much about my work as a diplomat in the US Foreign Service, mainly because we have heavy restrictions placed upon us as to what we may and may not publicly discuss, and though much of what I could say is okay, it is too easy to accidentally cross the line. However, diplomacy is as critical today as it has ever been for our country, yet with no natural constituency at home Congress views us as the easiest piece of the budget to slash given that few in the US will notice or raise a cry. Congress is trying to cripple US diplomacy right now, and I strongly urge all Americans to stand up to them. Please read these terrific defenses of diplomacy (from democratic Senator Patrick Leahy and republican Senator Lindsey Graham), and then if you have a moment, write to your senators and representatives in both the Senate and House and let them know your opinion.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Ted, I'll be contacting my senators about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads-up. I find it frightening the things they are currently de-funding.

    ReplyDelete