Monday, July 20, 2015

Time Heist by Anthony Vicino

Anthony Vicino came to my attention when I read a blog post of his in which he reviewed two cyberpunk thrillers--my own The Immortality Game and Convergence by Michael Patrick Hicks. His quirky writing style came through immediately and his honest review, giving both what he enjoyed and what he didn't, set him apart from so many reviews that try to only present the positive.
from the One Lazy Robot blog
I finally found time to read Vicino's own cyberpunk thriller Time Heist, and having read it, I think anyone out there who enjoys good technothrillers will want to give his a try. It's very well written and most of all Vicino has a vivid, visceral writing style that adds vitality to every paragraph he writes.

His writing style is about the opposite of my own, but the world he writes about is so very like mine in so many ways that I feel we are akin in our thoughts about the future. Nanotechnology is huge in both of our worlds, and the capture of the human mind in digital form also weighs heavily in our stories. The use of this technology to create a form of immortality is the very backbone of my own book.

It's almost as if someone gave the basic building blocks of a cyberpunk story to two different writers and told us to go at it. We cover much of the same ground using the same technologies, yet we each have our own styles and thoughts, so we end up with two very different stories.

I truly enjoyed Time Heist, and I think many of you would as well. I look forward to reading more of Vicino's work in the future.

4 comments:

  1. They both sound like interesting books. Scary theme, though. Of course, that's the idea behind a thriller, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I find it interesting myself, at least the ideas of aiming for immortality via technology. But the tech alone can't drive an interesting story, so we have to wrap it in something more exciting!

      Delete
  2. That's a great way to phrase it. That's why it doesn't matter that there are only so many plots in the world. We each make them our own with our style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete