Saturday, January 9, 2016

What I Read in 2015

At the end of each year I do a summary post of what I read throughout the year. I find it interesting to see my reading habits, and to make note of what the best books were each year. Last year's post shows that I read 52 books, and I did the same this year. I use a standard five star rating method with five stars meaning I loved the book so much I intend to re-read it throughout my life, so there are rarely any five star books. This year there were more five star books, but that was because I actually did reread a good number of books that I love.

1. So, Anyway by John Cleese ***
2. Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey *****
3. The World of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin *** and a half
4. Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence ****
5. Convergence by Michael Patrick Hicks *** and a half
6. Factoring Humanity by Robert Sawyer ***
7. The Martian by Andy Weir *****

8. Characters and Viewpoint by Orson Scott Card **
9. The Bloody Crown of Conan by Robert E. Howard *****
10. The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E. Howard *****
11. The Risen Empire by Scott Westerfeld *****
12. The Killing of Worlds by Scott Westerfeld *****

13. Joyland by Stephen King ***
14. The Long Walk by Stephen King *** and a half
15. Defiance by Lucas Bale *** and a half
16. Red Country by Joe Abercrombie ****
17. The Magicians by Lev Grossman ** and a half
18. A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge *****

19. World of Trouble by Ben Winters *** and a half
20. A Shroud of Night and Tears by Lucas Bale *** and a half
21. Market Forces by Richard K. Morgan *** and a half
22. Sins of the Father by Anthony Vicino *** and a half
23. The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch ****
24. Joker One by Donovan Campbell **
25. Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson *** and a half
26. Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King ****
27. The Dark Between the Stars by Kevin Anderson *
28. Use of Weapons by Iain Banks **** and a half

29. Looking for Jake by China Mieville **
30. Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey *****
31. A Dark Matter by Peter Straub **
32. Natchez Burning by Greg Iles *****

33. Time Heist by Anthony Vicino ****
34. Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton ****
35. The Call of the Sword by Roger Taylor ****
36. The Fall of Fyorlund by Roger Taylor *** and a half
37. We Have Always Fought by Kameron Hurley **
38. The Conquering Sword of Conan by Robert E. Howard *****

39. Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton **** and a half
40. Bran Mak Morn: The Last King by Robert E. Howard ***
41. The Death Factory by Greg Iles ***
42. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin *** and a half
43. A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin *****

44. The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula Le Guin **** and a half
45. The Farthest Shore by Ursula Le Guin **** and a half
46. Tehanu by Ursula Le Guin *** and a half
47. Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan *****
48. Broken Angels by Richard K. Morgan *****
49. Woken Furies by Richard K. Morgan *****

50. Bran Mak Morn: Legion From the Shadows by Karl Edward Wagner ** and a half
51. Half Way Home by Hugh Howey **
52. The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1 by Terry Brooks ****

4 comments:

  1. A lot of fantasy and science fiction - no surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I haven't read any Scott Westerfield and have kept intending to... your two five-star ratings may have pushed me into it. And disappointing you didn't like the Peter Straub better. Historically, he is my favorite horror writer, but it's been several years, so I haven't read any of his recent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just now got around to Le Guin? I... envy you. I wish I could read those for the first time again.

    I don't see any Jack Vance on there. I am going to assume that's because you've already read them all and memorized them. :D

    (I stumbled on your blog via Dragonscale Publishing site, where it said you grew up in Tucson and Phoenix, and then went overseas. I went to UofA and stayed there for several decades before moving to Australia. Maybe there's something about escaping the desert that makes us write SF&F? :D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, Le Guin's Earthsea stuff is a reread for me. Nice to meet another Wildcat! I have read a couple of Vance books, though I'd love to read more.

      Delete