Monday, December 30, 2019

What I Read in 2019

At the end of each year I do a summary post of what I read throughout the year. I find it interesting to see my reading habits, and to make note of what the best books were each year. I managed only 28 books this year, though to be fair some of them were very long ones. I use a standard five star rating method with five stars meaning I loved the book so much I intend to re-read it throughout my life, so there are rarely any five star books.

1. The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey ****
2. Langue[dot]doc 1305 by Gilian Polack ***
3. The Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clarke ****
4. Silent Hall by N.S. Dolkart **
5. God's War by Kameron Hurley **** and a half
6. Infidel by Kameron Hurley **** and a half
7. Rapture by Kameron Hurley **** and a half
8. Somebody to Love: The Life, Death, and Legacy of Freddie Mercury by Matt Richards ****
9. The Wolves of Winter by Matt Johnson ***
10. Cyteen by C.J. Cherryh ****
11. Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer ***
12. Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh **** and a half
13. One Word Kill by Mark Lawrence *** and a half
14. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon *****

15. The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson ** and a half
16. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett **** and a half
17. Low Town by Daniel Polansky ****
18. Lucifer's Hammer (reread) by Larry Niven ****
19. Embassytown by China Mieville *** and a half
20. Winter of the World by Ken Follett **** and a half
21. The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin *** and a half
22. With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge ****
23. Alliance Space by C.J. Cherryh ****
24. Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett **** and a half
25. The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi **** and a half
26. Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton ****
27. The First Man in Rome (reread) by Colleen McCullough *****
28. Limited Wish by Mark Lawrence *** and a half 

2 comments:

  1. It's rare a book is so good I will re-read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to reread more, but there are so many books and so little time.

      Delete