Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Authonomy

I've noticed that although the blogosphere is filled with writers eagerly learning their craft, almost none of them seem to be taking advantage of sites like Authonomy (link is to my book there). I've been a member since December 2009, and it's one of the most useful sites I have joined. It leans slightly toward the British side of things, since it is a Harper Collins site, but there are writers from all over the world there. I've recently been getting some great feedback for my book from a wonderful Belorussian writer.

As with any such site, one must have a bit of a thick skin to be able to ignore the few people who are not diplomatic enough, but most there are decent critiquers and pretty supportive. You just need to filter out the bad and concern yourself with the good.

The first time I posted a book there I had already completed it. Not many take the time to read the entire novel, which I can understand since reading on a monitor isn't the most pleasant experience, but a few do, and most will read some of it and generally leave some useful feedback. I have made thousands of corrections on my books due to Authonomy critters.

I've been posting my latest book chapter by chapter as I write it, and I've found this very useful. The critters have pointed out a number of things that have saved me lots of further effort down the line if I had waited to post only after completing the book. People seem to be enjoying this book far more than my first, perhaps because thrillers are more popular than Tolkienesque fantasy, but also perhaps because I am a slightly better writer the second time around.

I would never ask anyone to support me blindly, but if anyone finds Authonomy useful and checks out my book, I can always use more support. BTW, it actually doesn't help a book if you support it immediately upon joining. You need to add some books that don't mean much to you (or other ones you find that are good) and first get a ranking before adding the books you truly like to your shelf. Only with a ranking will books accrue benefit from your support. The longer you leave them on your shelf, the more points they gain.

After a year and a half, my first book reached around 191 in the rankings (out of tens of thousands of books on there). My second book has reached 84 after just over one month! If you like thrillers and/or science fiction, perhaps check it out!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip, might just check it out. As for your books my friend, my kindle is waiting in Denver for my daughter to pick it up and bring it home from her vacation. I can't wait! There are so many great books I want to read and yours are on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Siv, though I have never published my books yet. Unless the Kindle allows you to read what is on Authonomy, I doubt you can do so yet without using the internet. Sorry! I'm still dreaming of getting a traditional publishing contract.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on Authonomy when it first started and quickly abandoned it. The critiques I received were not genuine but an effort to elicit a favorable response in a tit-for-tat review process in hopes of making it to the top five and being discovered!

    I had one woman claim I had changed her life forever, which was shocking given the main character was drunk and eating chicken wings.

    Of all of the comments I received, a few seemed genuine, but most seemed an attempt to shmooz reciprocation. I certainly did not come away with anything beneficial from the experience as I had not gone there looking for an ego stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joseph, it has changed to a degree on there. I find it quite a bit different now from even a year ago. I've found a group of pretty good writers there, and I would not be surprised to see them in print in the next few years. I just ignore the nonsense. Like I said in the post, I've gotten some tangible good feedback on my new chapters that has already helped improve my new book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention that the number one thing they did to stop the nonsense was to make reciprocal shelving not mean much anymore. It only pays to find the few books you genuinely feel are worthwhile and basically keep them on your shelf until they reach the desk. I hardly ever change a book anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure the feedback on auth is all that useful, you get the occasional useful comment of course, but most of the time it's fairly non-specific unless you join one of the critting groups in the forum. i think anyone who wants serious, detailed criticism would do better at Critique Circle which is built for that purpose with none of the game-playing Auth is so notorious for.

    mood

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems very different to me now. I've had this new book up for just over a month and it has had really good input from several people. I have made some important changes that I feel have made the book better. I still have my private crit group, or I will once I finish my move and get my computer back, so I certainly don't rely only on Authonomy. But, I do view it as helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't want to read it until I'm done with The Shard, but I will eventually.

    I do wonder how this effects that agent rule "we can't represent anything that has been previously published, anywhere." Not to try to scare you.

    Oh, and you can read anything on a Kindle. You would have to email her the MS, though. I sometimes read parts of The Shard on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have done this at some other communities, but a lot of them fill up with people willing to post their work but not willing to read and comment on other people's work. I am talking to you Writer's Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've looked at the site, but I have been leery of putting too much work up on the internet.

    Hey, I gave you an award on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, L.G., I'll go take a look. Most likely I won't post it simply because I used to do so but collected too many of them. They made my blog take longer to load, so I left up only the one about fantasy and sci-fi writing.

    Budd, I imagine some think that I don't read their books, but that is not the case. Anyone who comments or otherwise supports my book, I do read. I will only comment, however, if I feel I have something legitimate to add. Also, if the book is nowhere close to ready, I usually will not bother with it. When someone is especially good, I will sometimes offer to do an in-depth crit, as long as they will send me a bit via email in Word so that I may do it more easily. Others have done that for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for mentioning Authonomy! I found the site to be extremely helpful and I really like the new rating system. Having good writers read your work is a very useful tool. (I also love being able to read some great books for free!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I might check it out! Won't be able to post my work though, not if I want my publisher to accept it, but it would be interesting to see what's on there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It can be addictive, and you have to be patient to find the people you will click with. Expect too much early on and you will probably quit, but if you are patient I believe the site can be rewarding. I wouldn't worry about the 'desk' prize, since that requires loads of game playing, but finding decent people to help crit a book is not such a bad deal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome! Thanks for showing us this site! And really, I can't wait to take a peak at your book, I read the summary and it sound pretty awesome :D And it's awesome that you're having a good experience the people there.

    I don't know how much I'll use the site myself though because I'm wary about putting my writing on the web. But it still looks like an awesome website!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did join authonomy when it first came out, but haven't made enough use of it. I think I shall go back to it now that I am more organised in my life, so thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete