Monday, January 1, 2018

What I Read in 2017

At the end of each year I do a summary post of what I read throughout the year. I find it interesting to see my reading habits, and to make note of what the best books were each year. I read a lot less this year, unfortunately. I had been reading over fifty books a year, but this year only 35. I need to do better. I use a standard five star rating method with five stars meaning I loved the book so much I intend to re-read it throughout my life, so there are rarely any five star books.

1. Dictator by Robert Harris ****
2. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith ****
3. The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith ****
4. Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith ****
5. Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi ****
6. Finders Keepers by Stephen King **** and a half
7. American Pastoral by Philip Roth ***
8. Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (reread) *****
9. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (reread) *****
10. The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North ****
11. End of Watch by Stephen King ****
12. The Death of Caesar by Barry Strauss ***
13. How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams **
14. Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft **** and a half

15. The Quest by Nelson DeMille **
16. An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson ****
17. Impact - A Relative Invasion by Rosalind Minett **** and a half

18. Star Wars - Bloodline by Claudia Gray **
19. Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance *** and a half
20. The Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson *****
21. The Guns at Last Light by Rick Atkinson *****
22. The Ice Dragon by George R.R. Martin **
23. The Futurological Congress by Stanislaw Lem **
24. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr *****

25. Saturn Run by John Sandford ****
26. Heroes Die by Matthew Stover *** and a half
27. The Lost Girls of Rome by Donato Carrisi ***
28. The Whisperer by Donato Carrisi ***
29. Red Shirts by John Scalzi ** and a half
30. Anti-Soviet Activities by Jim Williams ****
31. Babylon's Ashes by James S.A. Corey *****
32. Welcome to the Occupied States of America by Peter Cawdron ***
33. Armada by Ernest Cline ** and a half
34. Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh ****
35. Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page *** and a half

4 comments:

  1. I "read" more by listening to audio books on the long drives. I always forget to post reviews though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somehow can't get into audio books, though some people love them. I do need to read more, though. I tend to do reviews for any self-published books I read, and for traditional books only if they stand out in some way.

      Delete
  2. That's quite a list and quite a range! And a very helpful rating, thanks for the share. I've done a lot of reading this year -- mostly mysteries, because I was writing one. But I haven't thought to write out a list. I read a Stephen King novel for the first time (Hearts in Atlantis) because a friend insisted he was not all horror, and I really liked it. I also stumbled onto John Sanford, because my husband was hooked on his books, and now I am reading quite a few of his too. (He gets kinda dark, though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. I do this every year, pretty much for myself to keep track of how things are going on the reading front each year and to motivate myself to read more. Stephen King is an amazing writer. I highly recommend his book called On Writing. I read that over and over again!

      Delete