Monday, May 12, 2014

What Happens to Jon Snow?

*This post contains spoilers for anyone who has not yet read A Dance of Dragons*

Continuing my little series of posts about Game of Thrones...

I was just reading a George R.R. Martin interview from some time ago when he was asked about the assassination of Jon Snow. The interviewer seemed to assume Snow was dead. That's not a terrible assumption to make given how Martin has treated enough of his characters, but I don't believe it for a second. Snow's arc has been too big and important and without enough resolution for him to be completely out of it at this stage.

I don't believe Snow will be back the way he was, though. I think Martin gave us a hint of what happens to Snow when he showed the unusual Other that helped Bran (was it Uncle Benjen Stark? It's been too long since I read the book now for me to recall if that was ever resolved). See, I think that Jon will be back as an Other, but one that has the same issue as the one that helped Bran, so he will side with the forces of 'good' (or as close as one ever gets to such forces in this series). Given how much time Martin has devoted to having readers love both Jon and Dany, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes them square off against each other. Jon could be a special Other leading an army of wildlings, Others, white walkers, giants, etc.  He may be facing either Dany or a triangle of foes with the Lannisters.

I also think it's very possible that Jon is a Targaryen, perhaps the son of Rhaegar, who then asked Eddard Stark to raise him as his 'bastard' and keep his secret. That would make Jon the rightful heir to the whole seven kingdoms.

What do you think happens with Jon Snow?

6 comments:

  1. I think this line is pretty telling (paraphrasing here): "He never felt the fourth blade because by then all he could feel was the cold."

    And I'm not entirely sure the Others are purely evil. If you pay attention, Martin does a lot of work throughout the books to paint light against darkness and cold against flames, but I would argue that through Melisandre, he does a pretty good job of making it clear that the Lord of Light is by no means purely good.

    I don't know though, could all be misdirection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recall if they ever mentioned Jon's eye coloring. If they ever suggested it could have some of the Targaryen purple, that would be damning.

      Delete
  2. See, I was thinking he'd be brought back much the way Dondarion was--Lady Stoneheart was left dead too long to be quite 'back' but Dondarion was really much closer to himself. At least through his first few iterations. And I keep wondering if his 'death' will free him of his Night's Watch vows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see him coming back as a White Walker. That would certainly be different. Ultimately, I think he will be the one to save them all and become king, since he does have a legitimate claim to the throne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant on 'Other' anyway, since Martin has them as two distinct creatures, though I lazily tend to just call them white walkers! So I see him as a 'good' Other.

      Delete
  4. I don't myself think Jon can be the rightful heir, unless as well as L + R = J there was a marriage. There could have been - the Targaryens were polygamous - but in its absence he's still a bastard and can't inherit anything. I agree that he's unlikely to be properly dead. Not only does Martin have considerable form in characters escaping their deaths he has been set up as important over so many books now that it would be truly frustrating to lose him now. But reading Martin is at least as frustrating as it is enjoyable so - frankly - who knows? Heavy sigh.

    ReplyDelete