Sunday, May 18, 2014

Dialogue in Fantasy Novels

I was reminded recently that many people complain about modern-sounding dialogue in fantasy novels. They seem to expect everyone to have to speak archaically. Now don't get me wrong, if done well I enjoy characters speaking in such a manner--Lord of the Rings is a prime example.

However, my opinion is that characters in fantasy novels are not generally speaking English. They are speaking some other language, and the author is essentially translating that language into modern English for the readers. So to me it is only logical for characters to speak modern English in a fantasy novel, as there is not always a good reason for an author to be translating the language into anything other than the language of his or her audience.

I do admit that going overboard with modern slang and such would kill the fantasy vibe, and there is no reason to use modern slang. The English language is fully sufficient to translate fantasy languages without having to resort to our slang.

What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. I agree. It should be written for the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So long as there isn't any modern slang (unless it's urban fantasy/paranormal romance), I don't mind seeing dialogue in modern English. I think it's ridiculous to keep things formal and more archaic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. I think where either the choice of modern or more 'archaic'sounding language fails is when we become aware of the author behind the 'translation' e.g. when modern slang slips in, or the archaic style feels overly contrived. I don't have a particular preference for either, but both have to feel natural to the characters and the world, to blend in with all the other aspects of the world building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a middle ground between deliberately archaic English and excessively slang laden or up to the minute English that instantly dates it and places it in a location that isn't the one the author is trying for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reckon it depends on the voice and effects you're aiming for. Too modern will date a work just as much as too archaic. If you're writing 'archaic' English you have to know what the words you're using mean (the differences between 'thee', 'thy' and 'thou', for instance) and if you're writing in a modern dialect you need to know your readers will understand any slang. I agree completely with Piper that anything has to feel natural for the world. Within those limits, I'd reckon to write to please oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with this.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nyke Daenerys Jelmāzmo hen Targārio Lentrot, hen Valyrio Uēpo ānogār iksan. Valyrio muño ēngos ñuhys issa.

    “I am Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, of the blood of Old Valyria. Valyrian is my mother tongue.”

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, too much Old English or Gaelic would slow us down in reading if we aren't familiar. Most old dialects are hard to understand. Slang would pull us out of the story. I'm writing a story set in the 1970s and I'm having to watch the dialogue and tailor it to what tech there was at that time.

    ReplyDelete