Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Publication Lesson Learned

I had everything all set to go. My Kindle version of The Shard, my new epic fantasy novel, was ready for publication on May 1. I had the paperback version ready on CreateSpace. All I needed to do was receive the proof copy to see that it was good to go. I received that today and it looked great.

I had free ARCs out to various reviewers, hoping to have some reviews ready early on when the book gets published. I wanted to take full advantage of the one month that we get on Amazon to be on the Hot New Releases list.

But when I hit 'accept' on the proof copy today, the paperback went live on Amazon rather than into pre-purchase as I wanted. And that means the one month clock already started for Hot New Releases, and nothing is ready. The Kindle version isn't published, which is what gives the most sales numbers for Hot New Releases. The reviews aren't ready. I'm very discouraged by what happened.

But I'll have to make the best of it and just go with it. So, yay, my second book is published. Even if the copyright pages all have the wrong publication date listed!

For anyone interested in the book, there is a nice map that goes with it that you can print out to help you follow the journeys of the characters. Either click the link on the right bar or look at my last blog post where the map is reprinted. Thanks in advance for all support! And a big lesson learned for me.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That's quite unexpected. But the kindle version is still on pre-order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I asked them if they could make it available immediately, but they couldn't. The 16th was the earliest date they could make it.

      Delete
  2. Can you go back and unpublish? Like revert back to draft or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I could but it wouldn't undo the eligibility for the Hot New Releases, so I would simply lose that. It's better to just go ahead and let it go out and hope to take advantage of at least a little of that eligibility.

      Delete
  3. I'm one of the guys who received a review copy. As I explained by mail I try to get up my review as soon as possible.
    By the way it is not possible to puiblish reviews of books on Amazon which have not been published yet. While a book is on pre-order the only thing you can do is to add reviews as a discussion topic.

    Now it is important to spread word about the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't looked, but I imagine reviews can be left on the paperback version, as it is live already. Anyhow, I'm not stressing about it now. I certainly don't want to push reviewers to read faster, as that might make their reading experience worse!

      Delete